Modjeska Monteith Simkins. Wikimedia Commons.
(1899-1992) Modjeska Monteith Simkins was an African American civil rights activist who was the Secretary of the NAACP in South Carolina and helped write the court case for Briggs v. Elliott.
- Modjeska Monteith Simkins
- Modjeska Monteith Simkins House
- Oral History with Modjeska Simkins
- Modjeska Simkins Interview
Mrs. Modjeska Simkins talks about her role in Briggs v. Elliott
- USC South Carolina Political Collections
Use this finding aid to search the Modjeska Monteith Simkins Papers at the University of South Carolina. USC plans to digitize selections from these papers soon!
- Modjeska Monteith Simkins: A South Carolina Revolutionary
An extensive biography of Simkins with letters, photographs, and remembrances published by Becci Robbins.
* Requires access to the Discus databases. Learn more here.