Explore the 5 regions of South Carolina and find out what makes each of them unique.
Maps & Images
- Aerial Photography
See the Coastal Plains region from 20,000 feet above the earth.
- Images of the Coastal Plains
Enjoy photos of the Coastal Plains.
- Web of Water-Coastal Plain
Watch the video of the Web of Water adventure in the coastal floodplains.
- Lake and River Map from Columbia to Charleston
Did you know you can go from Columbia to Charleston by water?
- The Santee Canal
This canal was built in 1800 to connect the Santee and Cooper Rivers.
Cities & Towns
- Rivers, Rails, and Crossroads Region
Check out the Interactive Map to learn about regional highlights of the Coastal Plain.
- Santee Cooper Country
Discover the events, places, and activities in the region around Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie.
- Thoroughbred Country
Learn about the Edisto River and other interesting locations in the western part of the state.
Little Pee Dee River at Dillon, South Carolina.
- Natural State-Coastal Plain
Meet artists who use materials found in nature in the Coastal Plain to make their art.
- Coastal Plain
Learn more about the American Alligator, the Venus flytrap, and other species that live in the Coastal Plain.
Find out about the function of wetlands, including swamps, marshes, and bogs.
- Marshes, Swamps, Peatlands, Bogs, and Fens
Do you know the difference between a swamp and a marsh?
- Fish in Lake Marion and Moultrie
What fish can you find in Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie?
- South Carolina-Naturally! Coastal Plain
Learn more about the landforms of the Coastal Plain, including the Carolina Bays.
- Coastal Plain Region/River Floodplains
Read a great overview of the Coastal Plain, including landforms, historical events, land use, and more!
- Coastal Plain Region/Karst Topography
Learn about Karst Topography, landscapes which are sculpted primarily by groundwater activity.
- Coastal Plain Region / Carolina Bays
Carolina Bays are elliptical geologic depressions in the sand of the Coastal Plain.