Market Hall in Charleston, SC. Image courtesy of the Library of Congress.
Learn more about the places of South Carolina and discover images of our state, from its earliest settlers to modern day.
Information on Counties & Cities
Learn more about the 46 counties and 270 cities and towns in South Carolina.
South Carolina Historical Photographs and Primary Documents
Explore photographs, documents, and first person accounts of life in South Carolina, from its earliest settlers to modern day.
- South Carolina Digital Library
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers
- Lowcountry Digital Library
- American Memory
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs
- Documenting the American South
- Teaching US History
- South Carolina History Slide Collection
- Duke University Digital Collections
- The National Archives: Archival Research Catalog
- SCIWAY-South Carolina Picture Project
Historical Photographs by City or County
See historical images of people, places, and events around the state.
- The Charleston Archive
- Georgetown County Digital Library
- Pickens County Library Photographs
- Richland County Public Library Local History Photographs
- York County History
Pickens Fair, 1910. Image courtesy of Pickens County Library System.
Watch videos such as tours of South Carolina places, interviews with authors of books about the state, and programs about South Carolina history and places.