Explore the 5 regions of South Carolina and find out what makes each of them unique.
Maps & Images
- Aerial Photography
See the Coastal Plains region from 20,000 feet above the earth.
- Images of the Coastal Plains
Enjoy photos of the Coastal Plains.
- Web of Water-Coastal Plain
Watch the video of the Web of Water adventure in the coastal floodplains.
- Lake and River Map from Columbia to Charleston
Did you know you can go from Columbia to Charleston by water?
- The Santee Canal
This canal was built in 1800 to connect the Santee and Cooper Rivers.
Cities & Towns
- Santee Cooper Country
Discover the events, places, and activities in the region around Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie.
- Thoroughbred Country
Learn about the Edisto River and other interesting locations in the western part of the state.
|Little Pee Dee River at Dillon, South Carolina.|
- Natural State-Coastal Plain
Meet artists who use materials found in nature in the Coastal Plain to make their art.
Find out about the function of wetlands, including swamps, marshes, and bogs.
- Marshes, Swamps, Peatlands, Bogs, and Fens
Do you know the difference between a swamp and a marsh?
- Fish in Lake Marion and Moultrie
What fish can you find in Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie?
- Coastal Plain Region/River Floodplains
Read a great overview of the Coastal Plain, including landforms, historical events, land use, and more!
- Coastal Plain Region/Karst Topography
Learn about Karst Topography, landscapes which are sculpted primarily by groundwater activity.
- Coastal Plain Region / Carolina Bays
Carolina Bays are elliptical geologic depressions in the sand of the Coastal Plain.