Bowman Town Hall, Bowman, SC. 6 November 2012. Wikimedia Commons.
Each county, city, and town in South Carolina have their own government and responsibilities.
South Carolina Counties
- SCIWAY-South Carolina Counties
There are 46 counties in South Carolina, each with their own government.
- Maps Showing Creation of Counties
Explore maps that show how counties were formed, from the proprietary counties in 1682 to Allendale County's creation in 1919.
- South Carolina Association of Counties
Find county statistics, a list of towns and cities by county, the County Focus magazine, and more information about county government in South Carolina.
- List of South Carolina Counties with History
Read a short history of each county, with links to more information.
South Carolina Cities
- SCIWAY-South Carolina Cities
There are 270 cities and towns in South Carolina, with populations ranging from 50 to 120,000 people.
- South Carolina City Nicknames
Some cities have nicknames such as "Electric City," "Holy City," and "Lettuce City."
- List of South Carolina Cities
Here is a list of cities with links to their website if available.
- Quick Facts about South Carolina Hometowns
Find out more about towns and cities in South Carolina.
- Local Governments and Home Rule in South Carolina
This guide helps citizens of South Carolina understand what powers local governments in the state-counties, municipalities, and school districts-may exercise under the state constitution and legislative acts of the General Assembly.
Local Government Leaders
- City Manager of Columbia
Watch a video about the City Manager of Columbia, SC.
- Mayor of Spartanburg
Find out what the mayor of a city does while watching this video with Mayor Bill Barnet of Spartanburg, SC.
- Lexington County Courthouse: 200 Years of Service
Watch videos about the Lexington County Courthouse, with history starting from 1820 when the town of Lexington was founded.
- Chesterfield County Courthouse
Explore the Chesterfield County Courthouse which is home to the Chamber of Commerice, an art gallery, and a museum.